Friday, January 27, 2006

Still Good

Titanic is still a good movie. I caught the "good parts" on HBO in the middle of last night (boat sinking). Amazing stuff. Sure, some of it looks a bit dated F/X wise, but it holds up mostly.

You know why this movie still works? Cameron knew what the hell he was doing. Now, is this a perfect flick? No, it's got its awkward moments, silly moments, etc, but I'll tell you one thing - I'd buy the love story of Jack and Rose WAY BEFORE the bullshit we had to sit through in the Star Wars prequels.

It just goes to show that Lucas should have sat back and produced the Prequels instead of doing them himself. He can't write, and he sure as hell can't direct anymore. How do you cast such fine actors (Neeson, Sammy Jackson, etc) as they did and breath absoultely NO LIFE into them???? "Hold me like you did by the lake on Naboo." Fuck Naboo!

Back to Titanic. The best parts? The sinking is awesome in how Cameron did it, but my favorite moments are much quieter.

I want to break down and cry like a little bitch when that band continues to play that old, sad melody while Cameron expertly cuts to some goings-on of the ship, namely a beautiful old couple cuddling in fear in a bed, their last moments of a likely long, amazing life together Then the next shot is of a mother reading a story to her two wonderful children. I know these are all just actors but it was one of those instances where I FELT for them on-screen, I pictured the fear and agony that would follow for these characters.

Just a look back at a still-good movie. It gets slammed since it's the biggest movie of all time and all, that can happen when you gross over 2 BILLION dollars worldwide, but you know what, it's still pretty damn good.

1 comment:

Adam Renfro said...

Titanic had the advantage of being a true story. Even if elements in the movie were completely fictitious, they still had the weight of being true. So, yeah, what a statement about humanity when the band continues to play. Often I’m embarrassed to be part of the same human race that does some of the shit that goes on in this world, but scenes like that from Titanic make me proud to be part of it. In fact, they inspire me to CONTRIBUTE somehow to humanity. It seems that actual events rarely inspire us that way; luckily we have film to do it.