Friday, February 24, 2006

Music That Rocks Us

I was driving today and Purple Rain popped on the ol' radio, so, as one should when they hear such an epic, I blasted it. Amazing song. Chills. And it was back when Prince made good music, as opposed to now when he seems to be writing all his lyrics using his penis.

It got me thinking (no, not about Prince's meatstick) but to those amazing, epic songs that stick with us. Like Purple Rain. Or........

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Our House
Jackson Browne's Running On Empty.
Van Morrison - Into The Mystic
U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With Or Without You, Exit, Bad, Where The Streets Have No Name, One
James (excellent UK bad, broke up a few years back) - Sit Down, Seven, Sometimes
Warren Zevon - Lawyers Guns & Money
New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle, Your Silent Face, Temptation
Rolling Stones - Ruby Tuesday
The Monkees - Daydream Believer
The Who - Baba O'Riley
Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down
The Beatles - In My Life, Yesterday, Hey Jude
REM - Fall On Me, Cuyahoga, Superman
The Innocence Mission (from Lancaster PA) - Now In This Hush
10,000 Maniacs - Verdi Cries, My How You've Grown

And Yellow, by Coldplay. Here's the scene - It was a few years ago, my son (then around 2 years old) and his cousin were bickering as they normally do, getting out of hand. My wife & sister-in-law were chattering on about something, and then, on MTV2 comes this pretty neat video from this new band, Coldplay, called Yellow. The sound of those guitars, the haunting lyrics, and that amazing one-long-shot video along the beach floored us and we stood there (even the little ones) hypnotized by the song/video. Of course the next day I bought the CD, but anyway, it just goes to show how transending, crippling, beautiful, astounding, and just plain awesome music can be when it gets to you.

2 comments:

deepstructure said...

ironically if you're a true prince fan then you know his old stuff is his best and the lyrics were all written by his meat stick (jack u off, sexuality, let's pretend we're married, head, d.m.s.r, sexy dancer, soft and wet, bambi, dirty mind, etc.)

Patrick J. Rodio said...

That's what I mean, the old stuff is best (Purple Rain, I Would Die 4 U, etc) and not the JackUOff, Sexuality crapola.