Sunday, April 20, 2008

Being Productive

Trying to get productive again. I've been writing plenty - I'm waiting for my managers to discuss The Stand-In and see if they have notes for me (they will - they're big note-givers, but they know what the hell they speak of so I should listen). In the meantine I've been touching up an old script that I still think could do well nowadays.

I'm also in the process of getting some of my old work up on youtube. Some of the projects I'm pleased with (considering our no-budgets) and some, well, not so much. They don't age well, would be the nice way to put it. If anything, by watching them, you can learn what NOT to do.

But that's what I'm talking about. Production. I have some short ideas that we might put into production this year. One is a portion of a feature-script that could be condensed into a 15 minute short. Perfect for a weekend or 2 shoot. I've also been talking to a cool band from Philly (they lent us a song for my feature, West River Drive, back in 2002) called Patrickshead and may shoot a video for them.

Have no plans for a feature any time soon, especially the low/no budget/shooting on weekends type. If we get back into producing, I'd like to start slowly with smaller stuff. With the kids and all, I simply don't want to lose my free time embarking on a feature and missing time with them. I did it before when they were younger and regret it a ton.

Been thinking about getting my horror script back out of the pile - I never finished it actually, I got Act 1 done and thought it was way too much like every other horror script ever written, but I've thought of some cool twists that may make it stand out. We'll see.

The wife and I snuck out and saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Funny stuff. Had some really, gut-busting stuff in it. If I had to compare, not better than Knocked Up but still a very funny movie. Paul Rudd is a funny bastard. Jason Segel wrote a fun script with some great moments. Check it out.

Song of the day - Weezer - Pork & Beans.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested to know which of the two you thought was funnier between, Superbad and Knocked Up. My girlfriend thinks Knocked Up, I think Superbad. I liked Forgetting Sarah Marshall but not as much as I liked Superbad. But, then again, I've seen it about 7 times. I wonder if Forgetting Sarah Marshall would hold up over time.

japhy99 said...

Heyyyy, I was thinking the same thing.

They say it's easiest to find a job when you're working. Maybe the same principle applies to us spec writers.

Maybe we should jump in the fray and feed off the ensuing energy.

Will be interested to see what you decide to do.

Patrick J. Rodio said...

Cecil,

A few years ago, ok, maybe 10 years ago, I would have said Superbad in a heartbeat. But now, being married with kiddies, Knocked Up hit me on so many levels, not just the premise, which was fun, but Apatow did a great job showing all aspects of pregancy, marriage, etc, that I thought made it a better movie. but don't get me wrong, Superbad is a hoot and funny as hell.

Japhy - I'll keep you guys posted!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the blog. We have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. Please contact me at balduaashish2@gmail.com to know more.

Thanks
Ashish Baldua

Anonymous said...

I just recently abandoned my horror script for the same reasons, too derivative and my heart wasn't in it for my heart's sake (more like boffo bucks sake)