Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Later on, Luc

So, Luc Besson is done. He has directed his last movie, his 10th. Interesting, can't he just take a break? He's gotta pack it in? Well, good luck to him. His movies were hit and miss. His best being The Professional (Leon) (Yeah, I liked it better than Nikita), and his most horrible creation was, in my opinion, The 5th Element - great trailer, by the way, I remember being blown away when I saw the trailer, but the movie was a travesty. An absolute mess. One of my least favorite movies, ever.

Anyhoo, as far as I know, he's calling it quits. Maybe he'll be back, and I'm not sure if he'll still be producing, maybe he'll keep at that. But for now, later on, Luc.

7 comments:

taZ said...

Oh man! I wanned him to direct my movie! :P

Well well, I think you are wrong about 5th Element. For me, it's one of his best, ever. Although he was/is a better producer.

L.R. Williams said...

It's a shame that he's packing it in. I thought he was a pretty good director. Arguably, The Professional & La Femme Nikita were his best movies, with The Fifth Element not far behind. I thought the trailer was nothing compared to sitting through the movie. It was an experience! If there is a movie that I thought was just 'OK', The Messanger would be that movie. It just didn't do anything for me.

Scott the Reader said...

Well, he pretty much hasn't directed anything in the last 7 years anyway, aside from a few French things that didn't hit U.S. theaters.

I love The Professional, but I didn't really have any huge belief that he had another great movie in him anyway.

Reel Fanatic said...

He has gone straight downhill ever since Leon and La Femme Nikita, so maybe it is time for him to hang it up ... If I'm not mistaken, he's going out with an animated children's flick, due out domestically at the end of the year .. an odd choice to sign off with

Anonymous said...

They way I hear it he’s only giving up directing. I have a feeling we will still see him writing and directing.

Thomas Crymes said...

I completely agree about 5th Element and I can't wrap my mind around how people love that movie. I'd rewatch it , but I'd rather not go through psychotherapy again.

My favorite film is The Big Blue followed in distant second by La Femme Nikita. I was never a fan of the Professional. I think I was expecting too much.

Patrick J. Rodio said...

The guy was talented for sure, made some memorable movies. But you 5th Element lovers are nuts. Nuts! I'd rather melt my hands together than watch that MESS ever again. Chris Tucker's abomination of a performance doesn't help matters, I wanted to eat the chair that was in front of me in the movie theater - that's how aggravated I was whenever he was on-screen.