Monday, January 04, 2010

Creating Moments

In my most recent script, Zombie, NJ, I tried to make a certain sequence really stand out. I tried to make it a moment to remember. I could have written it pretty easily, a quick scene that gets the characters from Point A to Point B.

But I wanted it to be memorable. Like one of those sequences that you'll remember as your favorite part, sequence or whatever. It's a scene in a crawlspace, the main characters (three 15 year olds) are hiding under the house as zombies rip apart the house above, searching for fresh meat. I tried as best I could to draw out the tension (the horror above them, their current dark & wet surroundings). On the page, I made it last about 2 pages, when it could have been easily half that. It's my favorite scene in the screenplay.

In the last year, we had some fine moments in theaters:

(500) Days Of Summer - You Make My Dreams sequence.

Up In The Air - The scene where they're firing the older employee via teleconference, and he's actually in the adjoining office.

The Hurt Locker - Many moments here, but one that sticks with me is the sniper scene - Bigelow really draws out the drama here. I think the scene was like 15 minutes long, ever wrending second was amazing.

Up - The opening montage.

There are certainly others, but you get my point. When I started writing I didn't pay as much attention to these things, was simply worried about dialogue, structure, story (things we obviously need to worry about!) but after the script reader/agent/assistant/Spielberg puts the script down, you want to give them another reason to pick up the phone.

3 comments:

E.C. Henry said...

Glad to read you're excited about your script. If you can't be, you can't expect anyone else to be.

I too LOVED that "Hall and Oats" song and dance number in the park in "(500) Days of Summer."

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

Patrick J. Rodio said...

Yup, EC, it's good to be excited about it!

Manoj Agadi said...

Hi,Patrick. I think you have nice creativity in your novels/story's/screenplays. I like the people who always try to put more effort to narrate/direct the scenes very well. And keep the Audience more exciting and Interesting towards the story. You will definitely have a great future ahead Patrick. so keep going.

email click-through rate