Thursday, March 15, 2007

Rainwater - Excerpt

The following comes from my script, Rainwater. The scene unfolds around Page 9, and is between PJ & Lenny, two friends stuck in the small town of Rainwater. PJ runs his deceased parents bed & breakfast, and Lenny drives a hearse.


INT. DINER - DAY
PJ and Lenny sit at a booth in the quiet diner. ROSE, an old firecracker in her 70s, approaches.

LENNY
Ah, there she is.

ROSE
You flirting with me, Lenny?
LENNY
Always, Rose.
ROSE
Yeah, right. You’re gonna be driving me in that death car of yours soon enough.

She coughs.

LENNY
Maybe slow down on the cigarettes.
ROSE
Been smoking for over fifty years. The problem is my piece-of-shit husband. He pisses me off again I’ll slash his throat.

LENNY
Ah, young love.
ROSE
What do you guys want?

LENNY
Coffee and home fries. I’m on a diet.

Rose scoffs.

PJ
Stack of flapjacks, go heavy on the butter.

Rose nods and walks off, hacking.

LENNY
I met this chick. Can’t tell you her name yet.
PJ
Dude, c’mon. This ain’t the fifth grade.

LENNY
In time my friend. But I can tell you this - smokin’ hot!
PJ
Wonderful.
LENNY
Don’t be all bitter. Lucy’s gone. You had your chance.

PJ
I know she’s gone. It wasn’t meant to be.
LENNY
Because you have no balls. When you gonna get your head out of your ass and get your life in gear, man? She was the one for you. You can’t just sit around Rainwater the rest of your life, running that termite-infested B&B.

PJ
Hey, the termites are the only things holding up the place.

LENNY
It was your Mom’s thing, I get that, but it ain’t for you. She’s probably rolling around in her grave, pissed off because you’re wasting your life.
PJ
I didn’t come here or a lecture. I came for some fucking flapjacks.

Rose approaches with a stack of pancakes.

ROSE
Here’s your fucking flapjacks.
PJ
Wow, that was fast.
ROSE
Table six didn’t eat theirs.

She walks off, coughing. PJ looks at the recycled flapjacks.

Lenny chuckles.

LENNY
Yum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Coffee and home fries'... major flashback to my Saturday afternoons spent in a mall restaurant sucking back both, a ritual of me and my best pal